Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Legend of Bagger Vance

I have never done military service. In France it used to be mandatory, but I didn't do it, because of a funny ( I think it's not the appropriate word) reason. Perhaps one  day, I will tell you about it...

So I haven't done military service, but yesterday I found myself in the middle of a war zone. I was on a golf course. Let me explain.

In your military jeep (or in this case a little electric car), you travel in all directions, from battle to battle. Each conflicts starts at the border of the  previous battle field and you must invade the new land as fast as possible.

To achieve this you have to be a sniper, estimating distances and the wind force, visualizing the target.... and pow ! 

Be careful !!!!! Sometime the snipers are beginners (or inaccurate marksmen.)Moving in your electric jeep is not risk free. Many white balls fall out of the sky like hailstones. I think helmets should be obligatory.

Often, a few ''snipers''  ''attack'' at the same time and in the same zone. But these snipers are gentlemen and attack in order, one after the other. Just like at the battle of Fontenoy during the Napoleonic war against Great Britain, when a French general invited the English army to shoot first (he was confident of the victory, he was French...), the sniper who shoots the furthest is given the privilege of playing first.

This sport uses similar military vocabulary.... For a difficult sand zone, the Americans use the  term ''sand trap'', and the Brits use ''Bunker''... All highly symbolic....

At the conclusion of this day, I wanted to say thank you to the golfers who were with me for the day. They were very pleasant, friendly and patient with me Perhaps one day I will do my military service and buy a golf club membership.

PS : In Fontenoy the French won. But perhaps because the Brits were poor shooters, but probably the French were just lucky...